have you ever heard of the Indonesian ghost called Sundel Bolong?
i won’t go into details, but the main traits of this ghost are that it’s female, most likely pretty with long black hair… and there’s a big gaping hole on her back. if you’re not worried to get nightmares, you are free to google it. just for the record, i first got to know about this lady ghost when i was probably in 2nd grade. we were at my classmate’s birthday party, and they decided to entertain us 7-8 year old kids by showing us a ghost movie. seriously?!? parents, what were you thinking? needless to say, i got nightmares about it, sometimes even to this date. brrr.
anyway, that ghost came to my mind when i finished this project, thanks to the big gaping hole at the back. all i can say is, i’m glad the ghost only came to my mind, not actually coming to visit me!
this is a very simple top, done without any pattern. i only had 45 cm (140 cm wide) of the printed viscose fabric, which was just enough for the bodice & sleeves. for the bottom part, i used the same fabric as my last sewing project (and now that fabric is well & truly finished! all used! yay!), which is also viscose. see, i followed the rule this time. :p
while the design for this top is nothing original–seen already in H&M, Mango, Gina Tricot, and all the likes–i had never done this kind of top before. and the fact that i could do it just from a tiny piece of fabric deserves a special mention, i think! 😉
my fave part, other than the back hole, is the button at the back. i bought it from Toko Maju – Mayestik, Jakarta, many years ago, and never had the chance to use it until now. it’s made of white yarn, intricately woven to create a pattern. it was quite hard to sew with my super small & dainty needle, but i am so happy with the result. it added a nice, ethnic feeling to the whole look of the top.
the hardest part i encountered was to make the bottom part look nice. i didn’t want to make a crop top, which is why i decided to add the length by using a second fabric. and instead of having the back side completely open at the bottom, i wanted it to be attached to the bottom part. and as always, sewing something together that is attached to thin air (= middle part of the bottom) is hard, because you have to really make it look neat.
but i daresay i did okay.