… gives me enough stress to call it a day. a reminder to myself: next time you want to sew a coat with a collar without actually knowing how to do it and all you have for instructions are meaningless words (no pictures/images), DON’T even attempt to do it.
God knows how many swearing words came out from my mouth in the process of sewing the collar. it’s still not perfect, but that’s the best i could come up with, without really understanding what the h**l i was supposed to do.
anyway. i actually cut this fabric more than a year ago. January 2014. just cutting the fabric tired me so much that i abandoned the project for so long. i picked it up again last Friday. thousands of swearing & things-throwing later, i finally finished it. and yet i felt that it missed something. that’s when i decided to add a bit of detail, just to personalize the coat.
the appliqués are made using a scrap of the Melli Mello fabric, ironed on a one-sided fusible fabric (interfacing), and then sewn into place by hand (some swearings went to this process as well, maybe i should name this coat “the Swearing Coat”?). i added a small diamond-like button to the lady silhouette & used the chain stitch to make a necklace chain. not so bad result, i think.
the pattern i used is number 101 from Burda Style magazine 08/2012. the fabric is a mysterious upholstery jacquard that costed 3€/m. mysterious, because i have no idea what the material itself is, but it feels like cotton blend, perhaps with polyester. i must admit, i got interested to this fabric mainly because of the cheap price, and i kind of like the herringbone weaving pattern.
for one half of the pockets, i used another fabric. i meant to put them on the other side (the one closer to the skin), but instead i made a mistake and sewed them on the wrong side. *sigh* yeah, i made quite a lot of mistakes here.
i didn’t bother with the lining. that’s another thing i haven’t learned how to do properly, and since i had lost my temper too many times with this project, i decided to just let it be without any. i actually also tried to use the serger/overlocker to finish the seam allowances, but i haven’t managed to find the right setting and ended up cutting a crucial part of a seam allowance as well.
the hemline was done by sewing machine, but since the fabric is so thick, even though i had ironed it before this photo shoot, it still showed the fold line.
oh dear, now i’m making it sound like a cursed coat! nonetheless, when i wear the coat i don’t think you can see all those negativities (hopefully!). if i were to count the good things it would be: 1. the closure of this coat is snap buttons, and i did them very easily with no fuss at all; 2. the sleeves were a breeze to sew as well, with all seams smoothly attaching perfectly into place.
i think the negativity actually comes more from my personal life lately. i haven’t been blogging for a while, nor read other people’s blogs either. i have no special reason. just feeling like i have nothing good to share, nothing worthy of writing. i think i’m getting over that period… we’ll see.
but for the time being, thanks for visiting my tiny old blog, whoever you are. hopefully the next time i write, it will be full of positivity again.