my sewing machine is back from the dead! yay! 🙂
or perhaps it never died. after my last sewing project i gave it a super-duper-triple cleaning until it was all shiny from oil… and left it for almost a month for the oil to dry up. then, when i couldn’t hold back my sewing urges anymore, it was the moment of truth: would it work or would it still get jammed all the time?
well, it worked. for now. since my sewing machine had just been revived from the dead, i only did a simple project this time.
although i enjoy fashion and dressing up, and God knows how much i love prints and crazy patterns, there are a few things in the varieties of clothes/patterns that i dislike for one reason or another. namely, plaid or tartan pattern. i can’t explain why i don’t really like it, perhaps it’s because i spent 3 years in middle school wearing this certain check pattern as my school uniform. i very rarely get attracted to anything with this kind of pattern, whether it be actual plaid/tartan, or check, gingham, you name it. don’t get me wrong, i can still see the beauty in (some of) them… when worn by someone else. just not for me, thanks. 😀
but then, as you know, all things must come to an end. or maybe, the more appropriate way of saying it is: there’s a first time for everything? either way, a stroll around the mall one day made me change my mind about plaids. suddenly i did not feel as allergic to plaids anymore, and when i saw the perfect plaid fabric, i just decided on a whim to get it (yep, new fabric, naughty me!).
the fabric is wool or wool blend, and although it’s kind of a tight-knit like a coat fabric, it’s still somewhat lightweight. perfect for this purpose.
i did not use any pattern for this project, as you can see, the shapes of the parts are basically just straight. i cut 2 squares for the front and back bodice & cut out a small bit of the top center parts for necklines, and then 2 rectangles for the sleeves. only afterwards i shaped the sleeves to be a bit smaller towards the ends so they won’t look too over-sized. lastly, i cut 1 long rectangle for the hem. to make the sweatshirt look a bit more interesting (since, you know, being a beginner in this plaid thing, the fabric itself just isn’t special enough :p) i decided to add a small patch of tulle between the bodice and the sleeves. these were also just small rectangles.
i started cutting at 3 pm, and finished sewing the last seam at 6 pm. not bad. i only needed 1 m of fabric (140 cm wide), and scraps of tulle fabric for the details.
and i’m actually loving this plaid sweatshirt. now i can say that i have officially got plaid. ❤